United Way Initiatives
At United Way of Abilene, our mission is to promote the health, education, and financial stability of every person in the West Central Texas area. We do this by actively seeking to leverage our communities’ resources as the best means to make positive, measurable, and lasting change for the families we serve.
We know community challenges are multifaceted, and we endorse the strength of collaboration.
Success in life begins with a quality education. That’s why we ensure children get a strong start in life and are ready to succeed in Kindergarten and beyond.
Ninety percent of all brain development occurs in the first five years of a child’s life. What happens in these early years has a lasting impact from Kindergarten readiness to third-grade reading scores to high school graduation and beyond.
We focus on programs where:
- Children are safe and secure and have responsible caring adults in their lives.
- Students succeed in school.
- Students graduate and are ready for the next grade level or work.
- Children and families have the tools to make good decisions and effectively deal with social challenges.
- Families have access to childcare that presents opportunities for growth and development.
- Children are enrolled in or have access to safe, quality childcare and early education/learning.
Click here to see our education program partners.
Families and individuals are facing financial obstacles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. We work to ensure everyone in our community has the resources and opportunities they need to build a strong financial foundation and thrive.
We support programs where:
- Families have access to affordable childcare allowing them to work or attend school.
- Families learn to budget and save money for housing, utilities, transportation, and other expenses.
- Families have access to emergency/transitional housing and basic needs services.
- Individuals have access to information, services, and support that allow them to overcome challenges to be more self-sufficient.
- Community members, including the elderly, feel secure in their homes and maintain their quality of life.
Click here to see our partners with financial stability programs.
Where a person lives should not determine their access to quality healthcare. We connect people with affordable healthcare, healthy foods, and basic needs support so everyone has an opportunity to thrive.
- We support programs where:
Families have access to adequate medical services.
- Families have access to nutritious meals or food supplies.
- Families develop positive habits and have resources to help them cope with challenges.
Click here to see our health program partners.